Glanmire Ontario was a small village located on the Hastings Colonization Road north of Millbridge. The community was first founded in 1856, but a post office was not placed until late 1858. The original town was named Jelly’s Rapids after Andrew Jelly who owned the hotel.
When the post office was brought in, it was renamed after Glanmire Ireland. The Stage Coach brought travelers to (actually, through) town and had a hotel for their comfort. The post office moved mail between Millbridge and Thanet where it would later end up in York River (now named Bancroft.) In addition there was a school, store and a number of homes here.
The first post master was James Richardson who served from 1858 to 1861. He was succeeded by Andrew Jelly who ran the office from 1862 until 1866. Edward Tapp took over and ran it until 1869.
The town was doomed from the start. Land along the Road was infertile and few people could make a living off of it. Despite that, the town hung on for quite some time. The post office didn’t close until 1939, and the church lasted until it’s demolition sometime in the 1960s.
Today all the remains is the steps to the church, the graveyard, and a few ramshackle wooden buildings. The school building was moved to Millbridge and is now a storage building. The graveyard still seems an occasional burial, but who live here now are summers goers living in cottages nearby.